Saturday, March 22, 2014

MACUL: A gathering place for educators to dialogue about technology

"Are you using it for purpose or for pleasure?"

Andy Schoenborn, a Michigan high school ELA teacher and presenter at this year's MACUL conference in Grand Rapids, poses this question to his students about their in-class cell phone use. It's a question that returned to me throughout the day and on the drive home. How do I plan for technology usage in the classsroom: Purpose or pleasure?



The MACUL conference was an event on my road to certification that I was excited to attend. Looking through the program alone, I realized that we had a unique opportunity to attend sessions and speak with master teachers who have researched, experimented and refined their use of technology in the classroom to drive student learning. Andy Schoenborn was one such educator among hundreds who had decided to leave their classrooms for a couple of days to engage members of their profession about technology. With this in mind, the most powerful part of the day was that the presenters and other educators viewed technology as tools to serve a particular purpose: engaging students in a dialogue around core content both to engage them and to give them feedback on their work.

I intentionally attended sessions led by teachers. I wanted to hear from teachers who have researched, experimented and refined different uses for technology to promote student learning. The first session that I attended addressed how to give students effective feedback on their writing via Google Docs and forums. I believe that I was one of the few non-ELA teachers in the room. This was not a surprise, but an area of the chemistry curriculum that I would like to see be revised. The question that comes up so often is, "How am I supposed to grade lab reports as well as plan, run labs and grade other assessments?" The presenter of this session probed at this instructional need and proposed that technology could offer a solution. Did it actually cut down on the amount of time required for grading? That wasn't cut to me, but I realized that the feedback given in an hours time via Google Docs was richer in comparison with hand scribbled notes on students' work. Another advantage that the speaker presented was that students would respond to the feedback with questions and clarifying statements, such that their work becomes a central hub for discussion of student progress.

Another session that I attended was given by a passionate math teacher who has made use of pictures and videos (in the spirit of Dan Meyer) to engage students with the content. This teacher took a different approach than I had expected at a "ed tech conference" by having us become his students. We went through a lesson that made use of a photo to engage students in mathematical thinking and dialogue. The educators in the room were so excited by the possible ways that Geometry that a good many minutes were taken up by educators arguing different perspectives with which they approached the problem! While I had expected to be dazzled by different tech tools that this educator has reshaped his classroom around, I found instead that his simple tool was lost in the engagement of the participants with his question prompt and others' ideas. Coming out of that session, I realized that that should be my goal for any instructional tool that I implement. It should disappear from view and allow student learning to take center stage.

Returning to my own students and chemistry curriculum, I want to consider how to take these ideas and make them my own. Additionally, I want to integrate myself into the vast networks of science and math teachers who have committed to sharing materials, to asking for critic and to discussing best practice with other professional teachers, such as getting involved with the NSTA and Twitter STEM feed. These practices will allow me to become increasingly purposeful about using technology to promote student learning.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! Lovely post. I really like that you went to the session about giving feedback on student writing, because I wholeheartedly agree, it's a part of chemistry that gets overlooked. I may have to touch base with you to learn a little more about the logistics of giving feedback via Google docs, because I think it could be such a powerful tool. I do feel that students often don't even read my scribbled comments, much less ponder them thoughtfully. Having them on Google docs would both facilitate a conversation and make the comments accessible for the next time a writing task comes up so the student could reflect on them as they try again. I can see this as a powerful tool for supporting students in writing arguments over the course of a semester or year.

    The other session is not at all what I expected based on the description! Jonathan also went and in our carpool from DSA he told me about how he used the method with his math classroom and it got ALL of his kids engaged, even the usually reticent ones. That was certainly thought-provoking. I might use something similar as I launch a new unit starting Tuesday. I love your insight that the tool itself should be invisible even as students are using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I really like that quote from that presenter. I've been wondering about how technology is really being used to promote learning, rather than improving engagement. I know the two are interrelated, but how effective is this technology at increasing student performance and promoting meaningful learning? That is a question I wanted to have answered. I too was thinking about attending a session about writing, because we have been learning about trying to improve literacy in our courses. Giving feedback digitally and getting students to write about math is something I wish I could move towards, but issues with technology and finding time to do so is keeping me from doing so. Also, I have yet to find a decent platform or software to use for typing math.

    Thank you Anne! Yes! It's really interesting because I recently used what I learned in that session and I found it to be a really powerful method of not only engaging students, but of connecting content to real-world contexts and increasing its perceived worth. When I gave the lesson, I found that even my struggling students participated in the activity because even if they lacked a lot of the mathematical knowledge necessary to answer the question, they are able to think and talk about it because the scenario was something that was familiar to them. I would definitely recommend trying it out in the future! Thanks for sharing Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    Good for you for hitting the Google Docs session. Bottom line: all subject areas are required to do a LOT more writing with the CCSS. Specifically, students will need to be able to argue, analyze, and synthesize--no better way to demonstrate these skills than in writing. You might be a trailblazer in your school, where some of the old guard is hung up on multiple choice assessments. I encourage you to be that person, and highlight it when you interview; I promise it will give you an edge.

    As always, I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete